Monday, September 22, 2008

My Nigeria


Nigeria, my home, my country of birth, the country of my father. I am an Igbo girl with a passion for my people! I eat rice almost every day and I can roll the biggest garry. I used to compire my garry with my father's and they used to remind me that I am a girl and I soundn't swallow fufu like a man. They said I will develope an adam's apple. The memories...

I wish people will understand my love for my country, my culture and my heritage. I wish the world will look at my history and realize that it would be almost impossible to snatch the Igbo girl out of me.

I understand how people coluld assume that being in an intercultural relationship could draw someone away from their culture but I shall argue that it is just perception. There are many factors to consider when it come to culture retention. It is not a one dimentional thing. Marrying into another culture does not automatically a person from their culture.

I believe that it is very important for people to remain true to themself in life, in love etc. For me this means remaining true to my values, my love for Christ, my love for my family and my love/passion for Nigeria.


No comments: